Tuesday, February 2, 2010

It's all about the buses

I was one of two riders on the inaugural run of the new #10 express bus to the Athletes Village yesterday. I asked the driver for his autograph, but he politely declined. I appreciated the limo service. Turns out that I was one of the few that arrived on time. Over 200 new drivers have flooded the scene, some from as far away as Texas. Most don't know Whistler at all. This was verified by my coworkers, who saw the bus for Alpine (north) headed south to Creekside. A lot of lost drivers and late riders.

USA delegation checked in today! Go USA! Lots of delegations are arriving and this makes things quite hectic for us getting their books ready (with details of their residence units, the sign-offs of total beds assigned from their Delegate Residence Meeting, and CAD drawings of the room layouts, with inventory lists of contents). Not to mention keys :) Once they move in, the phones start to ring with requests from their National Olympic Committee liaisons.

About 6:30 p.m. I heard loud machinery outside. Couldn't be snow clearing, cause it hasn't snowed in a while. It was a bus unloading the 20 or so RCMP's who have taken up residence down the street. They were each carrying fistfuls of grocery bags, making (to my eye) quite a humorous procession.
This morning ( my day off and the day I didn't have to get up at 4) I was awakened by voices at about 6:20. who could it be? Late night revelers? No, my friends the RCMP again, standing around chatting under the streetlight waiting for their bus. I guess this is going to be the morning wake up call. I appreciate the early morning patrol :)

No comments:

Post a Comment