Sunday, February 21, 2010

Last day in the SSOC

After a week off, and a week of seeing Olympic events and Whistler village wanderings, I once again set the alarm for 4:00 a.m. Getting up in the dark in a quiet house, putting on the volunteer blue clothing one last time. I walked to the neighborhood bus stop under the clear starry night sky. This time of night is one I have enjoyed for its quiet beauty.
After transferring to the Games Express bus at 5:15 a.m., all is not quiet any more. There are five members of the Czech Republic luge team and one from the Slovakia team on the bus. Going home after a big night out in Whistler. A couple of them are slumped over. Their buddies are taking photos. A fellow volunteer asked how they did in their event. Answer: "Not so good." Probably why they 'celebrated' so hard.

Once in the Village and through security, I go over to Workforce check in to get my meal ticket. I mention it is my last shift (number 25). Gifts abound, including a 2010 participant medal, another Olympic pin, and a Vancouver 2010 Swatch watch.

Once in the SSOC, things are very quiet. we seem to be over staffed for the amount of work there is to do. We all watch the Olympic Network broadcast on tv. This network is internal to the Village, and presents in live time. There are also at least four stations, so multiple events can be broadcast live. (Quite a change from the pre-digested, USA focused presentation on NBC).

After my mid-morning break and a walk around the village to take some last photos, I came back to find the General Manager of the Athletes Village talking to people in the office. Turns out one of the reasons he came by was to thank me for all my work. Such recognition!
Supervisor Jenn was originally scheduled off today, but came in to say farewell. (At least that is what she said).
The afternoon goes by and I am wondering if they will let me go early, since there is not a lot to do. Kevin (manager) asks what time I am leaving. Hmmm. I begin to suspect something is up.
And sure enough, about 2:45 he calls us together for a presentation. The guys in Site have built a display case for the Opening Day scissors, which have been engraved. This one of a kind Olympic souvenir is presented to me. More photos, more smiles.
Some volunteers are surprised it is my last day. Time to go home to 'real life' and a real job.
Jenn says "I wish we could pay you to stay here."
Time to go before I cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment